I Got Things

                             My Kindle Paperwhite

       So if you read my blog you know that in February I treated myself to an early birthday present. That present was a Kindle Paperwhite. I had spent years trying to ignore they existed. Believing that the book was the only way to go. The feel, the smell of the paper in it's true form is the greatest thing in the world. Although this is maybe true, I thought fuck it and decided to go for it. And the fact that my sister and my brother in law went mad over theirs.
     After a few days of research. Reading reviews and watching a few videos. I decided on the Kindle Paperwhite. I chose this mainly for the back light. This was because I wanted to be able to read at any time of the day and not have to rely on another light source or attach a light to the reader.
      So what is it like? It is really an enjoyable experience. The first thing I notice, after setting up the device and started reading, was that the screen felt like I was reading on a real piece of paper. As this is not a LCD, LED, OLED or AMOLED screen. Instead you have a screen that is made using E-ink. The way this works is millions of tiny black and white capsules are electronically charged, when needed, to form words and pictures. More or less an advanced Etch O Sketch.
          When reading my eyes don't feel strained in any way. I don't have a blaring light straight in my eyes. The screen really feels like I am reading paper. Even with the back light. You can adjust this to how you want.
       So when setting up this ebook reader you have to create or log into, an Amazon account. So, if you want to, you can buy books from Amazon book store. There is also social book network you can join called Goodreads.  
      One small, little gripe is that because it's an Amazon product and if you don't pay a little more for the product. You will get Adverts on your title screen in rest mode. The adverts are for the book store only. I would like to add my own pictures to the screen but the only way you can do that is to crack the program. It can be dangerous for your Kindle and I can't be bothered with that. At the end of the day it's not really a big deal. 
       The battery really does last a long time. But I suggest do not keep the wifi on. Use it when you need to, this will drain it very quickly.
      

     You can change the font size and the font itself, which is nice. Pressing a finger on a word, you are not sure of, will bring up the dictionary. If the software is not sure of a word it will request for help from the internet to search for a word. With this feature you can also take notes or share with other people. 
     I think this is due to font size. Instead of a page number. At the bottom of the left side of the page, when tapped, it will give you a grid number of the section of the book you are on. Tap again and it tells you, depending on how fast you read. The time left you have in a chapter. the right side tells you the percentage of how far into the book you've read.

                 

      The books in your collection are displayed in the library section. To go through your library, the same as reading your book. You simple tapped the left or right side of the screen, to change the page. There is also a choice to put a touch pad security lock on the Kindle, to keep others from sneaking in and doing things while you are away.
      Now if you don't want to be restricted to Amazon, as a source of your ebooks. You will need to get a converter to change the file formats of your books into .mobi, which is the format Kindle books come in. So for your other formats like epub, pdf, and others the converter I recommend and use is Calibre. There is a video demo on there website. It's free, unless you would like to make a donation. You can use the software to read your books on your computer or tablet also with this software, if you don't like the cover of the book, you can change it.
      If like me you want to read as many books as possible but don't want the hassle of carry loads of books with you or having stacks of books piling up in your home. The ebook reader is the way to go. You can store thousands of books in one tiny little gadget. And for those books you read that you really love, you can buy them afterwards. Those you don't like. The delete button is alot cheaper than buying the book and having a paperweight in your home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Start

So What's Been Happening Recently? #16

The Book Report Episode #18 Tokyo Express By Seicho Matsumoto